Saturday, October 20, 2007

double shot of RT love

well folks that right two post in one night I just finished dinner (alone) its just not as much fun to have dinner without good conversation. oh well maybe tonight will be a better night. well we are getting ready to do acid base and ABG interpretations in RT class. I love reading them its something new so I enjoy the hell out of it. I cannot wait till we start drawing them. I have been luck to have a lot of IV starts and a good training in the art of intubation. In my paramedic training was paired up with an Anesthesiologist who started off as a Paramedic in Germany and worked his way up to a flight medic then to a Anesthesiologist. He was a ball buster but he trained us well he wanted us to be able to manually control an airway because there will be people you cannot intubate with normal means. To bad the operation he had me do my manual airway was almost an hour and a half long. but i did it. He then taught me how to handle all types of airways and how to intubate in routine situations and in emergent situations. I really owe him a debit of gratitude. He got me interested in pulmonary medicine and planted the seed that become the dream of me becoming a Respiratory Therapist.

1 comment:

Glenna said...

Very cool! I do have to douse a little water though. I thought those things were cool too until the first time I said "Oh this guy's a retainer" and another RT said "Yeah, but don't say that out loud. We may know how to diagnose it but we can't diagnose it or act on it until it comes officially from the doc." Great. I love having information that I'm not supposed to use. I mean, I do get it that I'm not a doc but that kind of stuff drives me crazy.