Tuesday, October 23, 2007

ABG Class

We did an all day class on acid/base and who to read ABG's In my RT class this week. We could of gotten it done in half the time if some of the class paid attention to the instructor and not sending out text messages on there cell phones. Then they all seamed to have a the same response " I dont get it can we go over it again". LOL It was so frustrating They did the same stuff at the end of last week in the classroom part of the class but over the weekend it all just disappeared from a few members of the class. then we got to practice drawing ABG's. the look on ones students face was priceless. I heard I did not sign up for this class to stick someone with a needle I just want to do breathing treatments.
So it was time to stick the little rubber arm a very few of us got it on the first stick :) the rest it took a little digging and a couple of resticks. then there was just one left. I don't think they ever held a needle in there life before never mind use it. It looked to me like she used the the Jason or the Micheal Myers technique on the arm she took the needle in hind like a killer holds a knife in the slasher movies and drove it home with so much force she buried the needle all the way in the arm. It looked like the most violent IM injection ever given. I did my best not to laugh and after a moment of shock we waled her through it and she did allot better the second time around. I know she will do wonderful as will most of the class they just need to keep there confidence up and we will form into a tight well tuned group of RTs.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with the other students...if they're not going to work out, though, they'll get weeded out during clinicals.

RT/Medic said...

very true we lost 1 already and the class has not gotten hard yet I expect more to drop come January when we go to the hospitals.

Rick Frea said...

I was shocked when I found out RTs had to run vents and draw blood. What's a vent? I remember thinking that. Now these are among the most rewarding parts of the job.

just respiratory said...

"Good luck with the other students...if they're not going to work out, though, they'll get weeded out during clinicals."

That's what I thought.

Unknown said...

Wow you get to train on a dummy arm. I did my training in the Army and guess what, yep we trained on each other from the first stick to the last til we got to try on a patient. Yep they hurt. Good luck on your training.

RT/Medic said...

In Medic school we did Iv's on each other all the time. it sucked too lol maybe they should do ABG'S on each other so you know what your patients are going through it will give them a better perspective. one student was like I dont want to do ABG'S all i want to do is neb treatments lol